Methanol found in Enyobeni tavern victims

SHARE

enyobeni - Malibongwe Dayimani
Picture: Malibongwe Dayimani

Investigators have ruled out carbon monoxide inhalation as a cause of death for the 21 teenagers at the Enyobeni tavern last month.

A panel of authorities addressed the public today, as they provided an update on their investigations into the mysterious incident.

The country reacted with shock last month following the incident, with much speculation about what lead to their deaths.

The Eastern Cape’s deputy director-general for clinical services, Dr Litha Matiwane meanwhile says that methanol – a toxic alcohol found in cleaning products and pesticides – has been detected in the victims’ bodies.

Toxicology tests were conducted at a Cape town lab, which released the preliminary report.

News Headlines