San Diego Muslim Community Mourns Victims of Mosque Shooting

A deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego in southern California has left three people dead in what authorities believe may have been a hate-motivated terrorist attack targeting the Muslim community. The attack unfolded shortly before midday prayers on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego (ICSD), the largest mosque in San Diego County.

Police say two teenagers, aged 17 and 18, allegedly carried out the shooting before fleeing the scene. The suspects were later found dead inside a vehicle a few blocks away from the mosque from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Investigators say anti-Islamic writings and hateful rhetoric were discovered in the suspects’ vehicle and on weapons recovered at the scene, strengthening suspicions that the attack was motivated by religious hatred.

Among those killed was mosque security guard Amin Abdullah, who has been hailed as a hero by community members and religious leaders. Imam Taha Hassane said Abdullah used his radio moments before he was killed to warn teachers inside the mosque’s school to lock classroom doors, an action believed to have saved the lives of nearly 200 children inside the building at the time.

The identities of the two other victims have not yet been officially released. Imam Hassane described the victims as “the beating hearts” of the mosque community, saying the Islamic Center had “never experienced a tragedy like this before.” He condemned the targeting of a place of worship as “extremely outrageous” and called on communities across the United States to stand together against hatred and intolerance.

In an emotional statement, the Islamic Center of San Diego said the victims were remembered as men of “courage, sacrifice, and faith,” adding that their loss leaves “a void that can never truly be filled.” The mosque remains closed until further notice while authorities continue their investigation and provide support services to grieving families and worshippers.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl described the incident as “every community’s worst nightmare.” Authorities revealed that one of the suspects’ mothers had contacted police hours before the shooting, reporting that her son had taken firearms, was suicidal, and had gone missing with another teenager. Officers had already begun searching for the pair when emergency calls from the mosque were received.

The attack has sent shockwaves through Muslim communities across California and the wider United States. Security has since been increased at mosques and other places of worship in several cities, while political and religious leaders have condemned the violence. California Governor Gavin Newsom said hate and Islamophobia have “no place” in the state, while the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) urged political leaders to confront growing anti-Muslim rhetoric and intolerance.

The tragedy has also reignited concerns about rising attacks on places of worship in the United States. San Diego itself has previously witnessed religiously motivated violence, including an attempted arson attack on a mosque in nearby Escondido.

"Illuminate Your Path with the Light of the Prophet's Teachings"