Recipe Credit Naslie Khan @Asian Delights
This is a creamy, mayonnaise-based potato salad that is more mashed than the usual boiled salad we make in South Africa.
It’s soft and crunchy in texture and is best served chilled on a hot summer’s day.
While there are many variations of Korean potato salad, the classic version, also referred to as old-style gamja salad, which is made with mashed boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, crunchy vegetables such as cucumber and carrot, and sometimes fresh and/or dried fruits such as apple and raisins.
- 3-4 medium to large potatoes, Russet or any potato
- 3 boiled eggs shelled
- ¼ cup cucumber (Cut 1 cucumber in half, washed, seeded)
- ¼ cup carrot
- ½ cup mayonnaise of your choice (I used Nola and Kewpie mixed) – use more to taste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper – use more to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar – optional
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar or apple cider
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped spring onion
- Peel and cut the potatoes into similar size chunks (2 cm wide).
- Rinse well before placing the potatoes in a medium size pot, and cover with ½ cup cold water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring it to a boil over medium high heat for 15 mins. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and continue to boil for 5-8 mins until easily pierced with a fork or a chopstick.
- Place the eggs in a small sauce pot with cold water covering the eggs. Bring it to a boil. (6-7 mins should give you a nice hard boiled yet creamy egg)
- Remove the eggs and place them in cold water for about 10 minutes before peeling.
- Drain and mash the potatoes in a mixing bowl with a fork until smooth.
- Leave some small chunks if you like.
- Add 2 cooked egg yolks and the egg whites. Keep mashing until well mixed.
- Set it aside.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and thinly slice. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Set it aside while preparing the other ingredients, and then tightly squeeze to remove moisture.
- Cut the carrot in half lengthwise and thinly slice. No salt is necessary as the carrot doesn’t contain as much moisture as the cucumber.
- Add the cucumber, carrot, mayonnaise (start with 5 tablespoons), salt (start with 1 teaspoon), add sugar, and vinegar to the bowl with the mashed potatoes.
- Mix everything well.
- Taste and add more mayonnaise, salt, and/or sugar to taste.
- Optional egg yolk garnish
- Press the reserved egg yolk through a strainer over the top of the salad or into a bowl if using later.
- Sprinkle with spring onion or sesame seeds.