Recipe Credit Naslie Khan @Asian Delights
This burger combines the crunchy goodness of Korean fried chicken with the sweet and spicy
flavours of Korean sauce, making it a delightful and satisfying meal.
Cooking time: 15 mins
For the Chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- Cracked Sea Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tsp. Garlic & ginger
- Oil for frying
For the Korean Sauce:
- 1/4 cup gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp. grated ginger.
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Sliced green onions (for garnish)
For the Burger:
- 4 burger buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sliced red onion.
- Asian slaw (buy at Woollies)
- 4 Tbsp Mayo
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Juice of ¼ lemon
Prepare the Chicken:
- Cut each chicken breast into burger-sized pieces, use your kitchen mallet to pound & tenderise the chicken.
- Season the chicken with garlic & ginger, salt and pepper.
- Set up a breading station with three shallow dishes: one with flour, one with beaten eggs, and one with panko breadcrumbs.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, then dip it into the beaten eggs, and finally coat it with panko breadcrumbs, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the chicken to adhere.
- Heat about 1 ½ cups of oil in a large skillet or deep fryer 175°C.
- Carefully add the breaded chicken pieces to the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry until they are golden brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Ensure the chicken is cooked through and has an internal temperature of 74°C.
- Place the fried chicken on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
Make the Korean Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine the gochujang, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic, and grated ginger.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens slightly and becomes smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
Combine Mayo, sugar, lemon juice. Stir until dissolved. Mix in the slaw and combine well.
Assemble the Burger:
- Toast the burger buns until they are lightly golden.
- Spread a generous amount of the Korean sauce on the bottom half of each bun.
- Add a lettuce leaf, a chicken patty, a slice of tomato, sliced cucumbers, and sliced red onion.
- Top it off with te Asian slaw & drizzle more Korean sauce on top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (if desired) and garnish with sliced green onions.