Recipe Credit Naslie Khan @Asian Delights
Honey Sesame chicken is a delightful and easy-to-make dish that combines the sweetness of honey with the nuttiness of sesame seeds. This is a healthy alternative for take aways. It’s a versatile dish that you can make your own!
For the Honey Sesame Chicken:
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional, for thickening)
For the Rice Bowl:
- 1 cup of Jasmin rice Cooked.
- Steamed vegetables (1 head broccoli, 2 carrots Julienned, 1 cup snow peas, etc.)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Sliced green onions (for garnish)
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, minced garlic, and minced ginger to create the sauce.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat a bit of oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Pour the honey sesame sauce over the cooked chicken and stir to coat the chicken evenly. If you prefer a thicker sauce, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with a bit of water to create a slurry, then add it to the sauce. Stir until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce is coating the chicken and has thickened (if desired), remove the skillet from heat.
- Assemble your rice bowl by placing a serving of cooked rice in a bowl or on a plate.
- Add the honey sesame chicken on top of the rice.
- Arrange steamed vegetables around the chicken.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Serve your honey sesame chicken rice bowl immediately and enjoy the delicious combination of sweet and savoury flavours!
You may customize the recipe by adding your favourite vegetables or adjusting the sweetness and thickness of the sauce to your liking.
[Picture: Kalie Stephan]