- makes 12 medium sized scones
- prep time: 15 minutes
- baking time: 20 minutes
2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup pea/chana flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried or fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp cold butter
4 tbsp chopped red onion
4 tbsp chopped red pepper
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
1 cup grated cheddar
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees, and grease a baking sheet.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, paprika, thyme and salt.
- Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the onion, pepper, cheese and chillies (if using).
- Beat together the milk and egg, and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Combine until you have a stiff dough but do not knead until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and press down, until it’s the thickness of your baby finger.
- Cut out shapes, gather dough and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Brush the tops with some milk and bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 20 minutes and the tops are golden.
Serve warm with soup, or creamed cheese and smoked salmon, or just butter.
Stores well in the freezer in a sealed plastic bag for up to 2 months.
For more, visit Freckles & French Toast
More Posts for Show: Community Pulse