- Wednesday, 10 March 2010
Helping the Mustadafin Foundation with their Christmas Lunch 2009 has been a beautiful and heart-warming experience for staff at Radio 786. The eager beavers made themselves available since before Jumu’ah on Friday morning, assisting with food preparation and the setting up of the hall.
Mustadafin hosted approximately one thousand individuals from areas like Athlone, Delft, Hanover Park and Montrose Park; and others, to the Christmas Lunch, at Belgravia High School Hall on Friday, 25 December. A further two thousand individuals were treated at various other Mustadafin centres around the Western Cape.
The energy and excitement of individuals could be felt in the hall, as families and individuals waited to feast on a meal of roast chicken, rice and other delicacies, especially prepared, with love, for those underprivileged.
We commend Mustadafin for taking care of the poor and oppressed in areas most often forgotten by the rest. Shukran.
- Wednesday, 30 December 2009
The Radio 786 Flower Extravaganza of 2005, was borne out of the water shortage crisis in the Western Cape. Radio 786 broadcast a series of water saving tips and special features in the run-up to the event.
The Radio 786 Flower Extravaganza with the theme “Being Waterwise” was held at the Good Hope Centre. The event was co-hosted with the Western Cape Horticultural Society, and was endorsed by the City of Cape Town.
- Horticultural societies from across the Western Cape, mainly from previously marginalised communities, exhibited their talents on a grand scale.
- With over 400 dahlias on display, dahlia clubs also launched several new varieties of flowers at the Extravaganza
- A team of female horticulturists, also from the previously disadvantaged sector of the population, designed several garden settings including a township, English, bathroom and courtyard garden.
- Horticultural students also created a sand dune surrounded by indigenous vegetation
- The Department of Water Affairs promoted its Working for Water campaign.
- The regular gardener was not excluded and people were invited to bring their weird and wonderful plant species and follies of Mother Nature to the Extravaganza
- Saturday, 15 August 2009
The One-to-One programme promotes contact between able - bodied persons and the physically disabled. It is designed to reduce prejudice and ignorance about physically disabled persons and tries to encourage youth participation. Radio 786, as a broadcaster, actively forms part of the One – to -One programme by both promoting it on air and motivating listeners to forward donations of gifts to the disabled on the day of the event. Many listeners also volunteer their help at the event
- Saturday, 01 August 2009